Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The natives get restless...

I haven't commented much past my initial reaction to the Ference trade. I've seen a lot of guys come and go, notably during that rebuilding, "Young Guns" era. Subsequently, I haven't been as emotional as others in the blogosphere have been. Personally, I'm a bit disappointed, as are many, that someone made as clear a committment to the team and to the city was so abruptly sent away.

Granted, he's not the kind of franchise player Brodeur is or an Iggy or even Ryan Smyth who would be untouchable if this sort of hometown discount were extended to their clubs, but I did think he deserved better. And like Conroy was until he came back, I don't think he'll ever be badly treated by the local fans whenever he comes back, even as part of a visiting team (though that won't be until at least two years from now, unless the schedules get revamped, or he gets moved again).

I'm trying to think of the last time a guy was traded away from Calgary with this much angst in the air. I'm blanking hard. Maybe the Gilmour/Leeman trade? Maybe Joe Nieuwendyk for some unknown junior who hadn't made it to the bigs yet? Maybe Gary Roberts...Certainly not for a guy who was (I think) better liked for his composure off the ice than perhaps his actual play every night merited.

But spotting this in our RSS feed makes me wonder whether the front office might be trying to do some damage control, over the trade. Part of it is the diaster in Detroit. If we had killed the Wings the day after the trade, I doubt there would be so many rumblings and attempts at second-guessing all over the place.

I get what Mike Board is saying. It's nice to have the point of view of a guy who pretty much was there, and is probably on a first name basis with all the principals. But. Suspicious. Did they underestimate Ference's popularity with the community?

1 comment:

  1. makes me wonder whether the front office might be trying to do some damage control, over the trade.

    Did they underestimate Ference's popularity with the community?

    I'm thinking yes to both. Just given my reaction (yes, I was one of the emotional ones) and countless others who made their voices heard, I don't think you can ignore that.

    ReplyDelete