Thursday, February 1, 2007

Logjam Ho

The crazy-close NW division is driving me nuts. Vancouver's recent string of success is unbelievable, and I mean that quite literally. How do they do it? Luongo can't be this could, can he? They remind me a lot of the Flames of last year, but without a star like Iginla. I can't help but think their streak is going to end pretty soon, and let's hope it starts tonight.

I'm forced to cheer for Edmonton tonight. Nothing annoys me more than that. Now instead of putting my feet up and laughing each time Smid is hilarious out of position, Hemsky overplays a puck for a turnover, or Horcoff completely misses the net I'm going to cringe and mumble under my breath, "Go Oilers..."

If that wasn't enough, Minnie also plays tonight. A win there and there's a 3-way tie at the top of the dogpile in the NW Division, with Calgary having 2 game-in-hand on Vancouver and 3 for Minnesota. Has any season had a division this close for so long?

In the long-term I'm not too concerned. Edmonton and Minnesota is playing par for their course given the teams they have, and Vancouver has been playing way over their heads and are bound to come back down shortly. Calgary needs to get some shit together defensively, the shots on goals against have been insane. We've now gone 16 games without outshooting our opponents, which is unacceptable...Kiprusoff has saved our ass way too many times as of late. I have a feeling with the imminent return of Iginla and the new arrival of Conroy, we'll get back in gear. I hope, anyway. If Vancouver wins the division this year, all hope is lost.

Tonight is going to be one of those nights where there's no winning, but just losing a little less...goooo Edmonton...

No comments:

Post a Comment