Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dallas liveblog

Thought I'd run away from our Flames for good, hey? It's been a bit busy between work and other things, but I haven't gone away. I haven't done a lot of useful analysis lately... maybe my play by play will be better.

11:09 PM I believe Dave has already done the post game. That will be all. Thanks for hanging out, everyone. We'll have to do it again sometime.

11:05 PM Bah. They bag an empty netter. Physicality ensues. Well...I think that's it kids....

11:02 PM Woo! The big line. 3-2, finally.

11:01 PM I didn't even have time to pick up the needles again. Another PP. I will give Dallas this - it's not as if they're trying hard to run away with this game.

10:57 PM No dice.

10:53 PM P2tog without slipping sts off needle, then K2tog over same sts...P2to...

Oh. We're on the PP again.

10:51 PM Oh, Iggy. Just shoot it. Like Ritchie just did.

10:47 PM Hagman lamed by a lousy shot block. Good pressure this PP. No dice yet. This is definitely a better effort tonight by the guys Who Were Named, but... well. We will see.

Stupid broken sticks. Susan.

10:45 PM Ha! Boucher off to the box, after some decent pressure by the boys. Am I the only one who thinks, "Chuckwagon driver" when I hear "Kelly Sutherland?"

10:44 PM Fantastic chance by Huselius. No dice. I swear I heard "Marvin Turco."

10:40 PM Noodles makes a key save on a post-PP break. PK wasn't too shoddy, but was two minutes we couldn't spend trying to score.

10:37 PM Primeau again. This is the same script we saw last night, but with more emotion.

10:32 PM Modano's back. Our Davey loses his assist, which goes to Hammer.

10:23 PM 2nd intermission, Out of Town Scoreboard edition It's a good night for the NHL. So far the lowest announced attendance is 15,091 at TD Banknorth Garden. Callups: D. Fata? Is that any relation to that prime ex-Flames prospect, Rico? And much like back in the days of Joe Who, are sportswriters 'round the league going to have to learn how to spell Dubielewicz on a regular basis?

Oh god, I think they're brothers.

10:18 PM No word from the dressing room about Regehr. We'll be lucky if they'll acknowledge that he's injured at all, much like Conroy or Warrener.

10:13 PM Hm. This doesn't work when they keep on shooting it down the ice, does it? Buzz.

10:11 PM Oooo! PP! Say what you will, it's been a good two days for that. Time to pimp the Club Card for Safeway(TM) for Score & Win (TM)

10:08 PM Guess who's on in the Hockey Update by Japanese Village(TM)? None other than Darryl Reaugh...Play resumes. Kipper hasn't traded ballcap for mask, so Noodles must be either ok, or in his playing-with-broken-sternum mode. Oh, don't start with the Dallas-leading-after-two-periods-with-two-goals-stats.

Happy thoughts!

Still no Regehr.

10:06 PM Not good. That last goal seems to have shifted the momentum of the game a bit. Noodles gets hit by a Boucher shot. Mask is off. Uh-oh.

10:02 PM I knew that was going to happen as soon as I hit Ctrl-S on my last entry. 3-1 Dallas. Oh, right! Happy thoughts! Um. Ovechkin finally puts one behind a goalie in a shootout? I check the scoresheet. Zubov is making me feel unclean. But. He is generating happy thoughts.

10:00 PM What do you think? Primeau this time. With Modano's bell rung, and a good period to this point, we better see some stepping up and the tightest PK ever.

9:56 PM Modano gets Phaneufed. He's down for the count. I wanna see this on the highlights with my morning cereal. HG's boy is clearly back, much abashed for his off-ice behaviour, and struggling to make amends...

9:52 PM Maher is clearly unused to the idea of Noodles playing. More good chances for our boys. They would be so good if they played like this all the time...

9:49 PM Iggy gets a fantastic chance off a blocked shot then running it in on a breakaway. Only a chance though. Damn you, Marty!

9:46 PM It sounds like it's been a good couple of shifts...except that the puck's been our zone an awful lot. Peter Maher can't keep his Finns straight. Apparently Jussi Markaanen is playing this one.

9:42 PM About not getting enough time with the man advantage... Lombardi! 2-1. Woot! From Moss and Tanguay.

9:39 PM Dammit, can't Edmonton do anything right? PP sounds ok to me. We just don't get enough time with the man advantage ;)

9:34 PM Here we go again... the radio guys seem to have been reading more positives out of Perry Berezan's spiel than I did. Modano goes to the box.

9:28 PM Perry Berezan thinks the guys have to have emotion in their bellies, like teenaged la-la-la-la-I-don't-waanna-hear-you emo kids. But with discipline!

9:18 PM Not much time in the first period thank goodness. New offensive style or not, did anybody imagine Chris Clark would bag a hat trick before anyone playing for Calgary?

9:13 PM Way to end the PP. Hamrlik gets some time off. Our guys seem pretty out of control tonight. Should I be glad I can't hear all the "combustible," "explosive," "burnout" type puns on TV right now?

9:09 PM Oh. We get to go on the PP now. How refreshing. It would have been nice if the Stars hadn't got the first chance after the penalty started. And not that we'd use him on the PP, but still no Regehr.

9:05 PM Sigh. Let's see how we play even strength, hey? Eventually? Stars ahead 2-0. Still on PP. Must not get tea stains on baby blanket in-progress.

9:02 PM Another minor. Noodles, for unsportsmanlike?

9:00 PM Hey Dave: "Bringing the only guy you know with louder lungs than you? Priceless." Eh. EH?? Man, I love having all those repetitive radio commercials... Regehr is a bit shaken up apparently. Woo! Susan can play more minutes! Woo!

8:56 PM, II I take my last comment back. Modano is one step closer to passing Joey Mullen.

8:56 PM Looks like the PK is holding together. But could we stop taking penalties? Ack ack ack...

8:51 PM Aw, Matt from BofA is doing a liveblog too? This groupthink thing is ridiculous. I swear I decided to do this spontaneously, in a grumpy-no-life-but-hockey mood.

8:46 PM PK actually came through, we're still going offside, and I've decided there's no point in tracking who's playing with who tonight. If I hadn't picked up Zubov for one of my fantasy teams, I'd be very mad at him.

8:41 PM 41 seconds into the game, and Stuart draws one for highsticking. Way to start things on a good note. Also, why the hell am I doing this working just off the radio?

8:38 PM Rough flight, eh, boys? No Hale, no Yelle, no Conroy, no Warrener. Noodles, no Kipper. Let's see what happens. I'm not taking it as a good sign that my not-typing project is done in colours of white, and green, and yellow.

For what it's worth, there were some bright spots last night. The PP, Lombardi, Moss, and Giordano, namely. It wasn't a pretty game. I don't have much else to say that hasn't already been said and won't drag us through the same old, same old again. Say, aren't we glad this isn't 2002?

67 comments:

  1. I've decided there's no point in tracking who's playing with who tonight.

    Especially with that starting line up of Iggy, Langkow and FRIESEN? But Jeffy hasn't been doing too badly lately, better than GrandpAmonte, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the Dallas announcers just called Regehr, "A physical meat pounder."

    Huh....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friesen played a fair bit with Iggy last night.

    And if goalposts counted as half-goals, GradpAmonte wouldn't be too shabby...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG PLAYFAIR IS SHOWING EMOTION!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is he showing the nervous coach emotions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that was pissed-off-at-ref emotion. Not that I saw, or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see the boys respond to Jimmy's "emotion" with such a fabulous PK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hoping Iggy's temper continues to boil tonight until he explodes and gets 15 goals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darryl Reaugh just now: "This thing is combustible right now. It's uncivil." We can only hope. No replay from Dallas on that Huselius falling behind the net ... did Turco trip him?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love someone to explain why the PK is such shit, because I'm lost beyond criticism of the "passive box." Dallas announcers reminded me that last year the Flames were seventh in the league. It's not like there's been a massive change in personnel on the PK here. Like, who's missing? Marchment?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The FSN intermission guys are picking apart the Stars' game like they're the losing team. "We didn't do this" and "We didn't do that" and blah blah blah... "Something about the game plan up in the air but if you're winning, who cares?"

    That's right, you're winning. Good observation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thinking about this a bit last night, and I think we're missing some high energy forwards. I'm thinking of Kobasew during an on night. Or A-fence, when he was on. Even Warrener, in his younger, non-gimpy incarnation.

    If we can't do good D-zone coverage even strength, it's doubtful whether we can get it together for the PK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh. The mention of American hockeycasting makes me happy to have Peter and the rest of the broadcast team.

    Though lately, I've been wondering why they haven't been screaming at the boys, "you idiots! We're not going to put up with this!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. You mean, like the Kobasew who is on in Boston of late?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm thinking of the Kobasew who'd go into tight spots knowing he was gonna get smacked down, and get up, (I imagine) smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have I mentioned that I hate Playfair? I do, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, yes, that Kobasew, or as MG called him, "Shazam."

    ReplyDelete
  18. MAAAAAATTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

    OUR DAVID! TANGS! WHEEEEOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really pleased to see Lombo get his 20th. He deserves it, and would probably have had more if he hadn't been unfairly dropped to the third line when Conroy arrived. Great effort so far this period.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Iggy's gotta have that one. It's a disaster if Dallas goes up 3-1 the way Calgary's played so far this period.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah Dave! Positive thinking means positive outcomes! Remember, I'm breaking away from the groupthink?

    HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

    ReplyDelete
  22. Flames are going to win on a Friesen hattrick! HAttrick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, Modano's pretty face ain't so pretty when it's all scrunched up. We may see a little attack on Dion later on, no?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's more like it! Keep it up Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  25. And there's the disaster, on yet another beauty penalty kill. Stuart seems to be looking the wrong way a lot the last couple of games.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't heart Dallas.

    What a surprise. Oh Hammer. You're supposed to stop the puck with your stick.

    "Tweet tweet twiddle twiddle right down the middle," says Darryl Reaugh.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Go Flames Go! You can do it!

    Put Hamrlik in net and move Kipper up as a Centre. They'll never expect it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. HG's boy is clearly back, much abashed for his off-ice behaviour, and struggling to make amends...

    He has a lot of work to do. A lot. He's not on the couch tonight, he's on the back porch.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ovechkin finally puts one behind a goalie in a shootout?

    You'll see the moves he had over your morning cereal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Put Hamrlik in net and move Kipper up as a Centre. They'll never expect it!

    Exactly! Just like how I suggested putting Warrener behind the bench.

    What a PP to end the period guys. Nice work. [/sarcasm]

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stuart seems to be looking the wrong way a lot the last couple of games.

    He's just overall not a good hockey player.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm naming my first child "Junior."

    ReplyDelete
  33. Kyle! Positive thinking is the theme tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  34. He's just overall not a good hockey player.

    And he'll be even better now that Regehr's leg has been crushed. Do I hear a Stuart-Warrener powerhouse, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Overall... for the disruption it's caused to our system, I'm starting to regret Ference for Stuart a lot.

    HG was talking recently about how we played better with Iggy injured? That was also with A-fence hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
  36. HG was talking recently about how we played better with Iggy injured? That was also with A-fence hanging around.

    Ritchie was also kicking ass up front too and now where is he? Put him on a line with Lombo.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Would Playfair be able to kickstart our team by removing one piece of clothing per goal against? Putting one back on per goal scored?

    I'm thinking outside the box here. We need a system, and I think this could be it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Maybe per goal scored, he could remove one because his clothes are so ugly. Or maybe just start layering, like Heidi of the Mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ritchie was also kicking ass up front

    I blame Ritchie entirely for tonight's 3-1 deficit. He's been horrible on those four shifts, and the rest of the guys have been really productive.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm with HG. Or modified... he could take off an item that clashes, and put on an item that matches (or coordinates, whichever you prefer)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I blame Ritchie entirely for tonight's 3-1 deficit. He's been horrible on those four shifts.

    I didn't say anything about tonight, I was fondly remember January.

    And how did I miss Noodles' 10 minute misconduct? I caught the 2 and 2 though.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Our Davey loses his assist, which goes to Hammer.

    Poor Davey. How many times has that happened this year? At least 3 now.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I didn't say anything about tonight, I was fondly remember January.

    I know, I was sarcastically pointing out that it's hard for him to do it again when he's only out there for two minutes a game.

    That Boucher penalty just now is the third ultra-weak hooking call the Flames have benefited from tonight. Time to capitalize.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Are the white jerseys washed in chloroform? They should check.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Are the white jerseys washed in chloroform? They should check.

    Maybe it's the blinding whiteness. Makes it hard to keep on looking at your own guy, and...

    ReplyDelete
  46. PMP2tog without slipping sts off needle, then K2tog over same sts...P2to...

    What colours are you using? Blue? Pink? Yellow? A variegated blend?

    ReplyDelete
  47. I think I talked about it early on in the liveblog... white stripes alternating with a green/yellow blend.

    I'm blaming tonight on the colours. And the Evil Twins, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  48. You know, with all the critism going to Regehr this season about his 'poor play' its really impressive that he has the top +/- on the team (or did going into last nights game anyway). When you also consider how many mistakes Stuart makes that Regehr has to cover/make up for, its even more imprssive.

    So, I guess the positive to take from this is that Regehr's play decline has, in my opinion, been exaggerated.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Who could have predicted this outcome? I'm so surprised...

    What happened to Friesen's hattrick? Damn refs, they didn't count it!

    ReplyDelete
  50. We'll take it (and it ain't gonna matter in the big picture), but boy, if I'm a Dallas fan I'm pissed right now. That "holding" call was atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I think I talked about it early on in the liveblog... white stripes alternating with a green/yellow blend.

    Right, I remember now. I was going to say something else but then Tangs scored so I forgot. Uh...

    Oh yeah, I just about lost my pizza again tonight. I need a non-slip plate. Does anyone have one?

    ReplyDelete
  52. You know, with all the critism going to Regehr this season...

    I think the problem is that Regehr is that kind of solid guy playing in the back who, if he plays well, you're not supposed to notice. So you only notice his mistakes, really. Not fair, but there you go...

    ReplyDelete
  53. So, I guess the positive to take from this is that Regehr's play decline has, in my opinion, been exaggerated.

    I noticed this myself lately. If I recall correctly, a lot of the criticism came from the PK problems. It hasn't been much better, but for a while, nobody could clear the puck, Regehr included.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo........

    IGGY! You were supposed to get mad ages ago! Not in the last, dying seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Use a bowl? Or I have these pasta dishes which are basically plates with raised edges...

    ReplyDelete
  56. Another massive last-minute charge with Tony Amonte on the ice. Fuck they're bad.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Ooo, yes, a bowl. Good idea.

    I must say, this has been fun. It makes the pain not so sharp. Next time, we'll have to actually get together.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Playfair is so WEAKSAUCE. It is official.

    Final minute, and he has....Amonte, Friesen, and Ritchie out on the ice.

    How did this guy become a head coach? Oh sweet jesus, if I didn't accept defeat of this game 8 hours ago, I'd be pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Weaksauce, eh? That's a new one. I accepted defeat weeks ago when I stopped have expectations, or is it just that I expect them to lose...

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks for hosting the liveblog, Leanne. It's fun to be sarcastic for two-and-a-half hours in public for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Yes, YAY LEANNE!

    Maybe we should rotate liveblogging duty...

    ReplyDelete
  62. I think she's had a lot of fun with this. Normally it's just us bantering back and forth via IM during the game, but this is oh-so-much more exciting.

    It gets boring in her lonely old old house listening to the radio feed by the fire, y'know...

    ReplyDelete
  63. No probs, everybody...

    Dave is right - it was a lot of fun. I totally want to do this again.

    Though, what fire? Just me and my tea pot and my knitting needles. I think I can make my office chair rock.

    ReplyDelete
  64. NOTES AND COMMENTS:

    1. 66 is a lot of comments...

    2. why did you choose to do a live blog on the one game i chose to be absent ?? ;)

    3. you really should add me to your quick links. i am starting to feel left out... :(

    4. i'm back in toronto on monday. we really all must hook up to heckle a game together.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I have a feeling Leanne's going to want to do a lot of these, so don't worry about being absent.

    I think you're already on our quicklinks (Hit the Post, right?). Unless Leanne stealthy added that just now too.

    ReplyDelete