Saturday, December 1, 2007

Last Minute

It's been a disheartening couple of days, as the volume of those dark mutterings gets louder and louder.

Time is going to be a factor, as the boys work on winning games. The Western Conference is much more ridiculously competitive than it was last year, with the recent resurgence of the Central Division, as teams like St. Louis, Chicago, and Columbus have started to kick ass and take numbers. Good for them but, um, we have to play Columbus tonight.

The Blue Jackets won't be in a good mood. This is Part 3 of their swing through Western Canada, and so far, they're 0 for 2. They'll want to head back with one win.

Given as much time I spend talking to Bethany (of Bethany's Hockey Rants fame), I really should know more about the Jackets, but I confess I don't really. We won't be seeing Leclaire in net tonight - something happened to him in Edmonton, but that's fine. I'm not sure I can handle seeing an awesome goalie in net right now. Rick Nash has improved rapidly under Hitchcock's regime - something about how being responsible defensively will lead to more offensive chances. And ice time. Rings a bell but I can't quite put a finger on it.

As for our guys... hmmm. Ramholt had a pretty dismal initial game the other night, with only 45s of ice time, I'm hoping they'll start him again, and he'll redeem himself. 'Sides that, I can run through the usual litany of things we'll need to do right, I guess. Um, solid defense, decent special teams, goaltending, etc etc etc blahblahblah.

I'm not going to hold my breath for any miraculous improvements in our situation. It's going to be baby steps all the way.

I will be at the game tonight, so it'd better be a, hmmm... 4-2 win.

3 comments:

  1. Ramholt had a pretty dismal initial game the other night, with only 45s of ice time, I'm hoping they'll start him again, and he'll redeem himself.


    I wouldn't hold my breath. Ramholt has come into a terrible situation: he's partnered with a fringe NHler in Hale on a team currently suffering through it's worst defensive patch for years and years. Also, he's barely an above average AHLer at the best of times.

    The loss of Gio really, really stings now. Im positive this is why Sutter wanted him on a two-way contract: so he could hide an NHL defender on the farm in case of injuries. Course, Giordano (understandingly) balked. And for good reason...

    The better way to go would have been to not trade for (and get rid of) the major injury concerns on the back-end...but...you know, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Don't rain on my optimistic musings :)

    I have to admit, I'm surprised Pardy wasn't called up first though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such a good game!!!!! I know it didn't turn out so well for you but I mean it was entertaining.

    ReplyDelete