Thursday, July 12, 2007

The World's Highest-Paid Defenseman Who Doesn't Play Defense

has been signed by the Oilers. 27 mil over 5 years. Edmonton is a defensive powerhouse now, with defensive stalwarts such as: Souray (-28 last year), Tarnstrom (-15), Pitkanen (-25), Smid (-16), Greene (-22), and Staois (-5). Not a single + defenseman on their entire defensive corps from last year, even though half of them are imports from another team.

Shall we place bets on Edmonton's GAA next year? I'm willing to bet it's in the 4.x range.

2 comments:

  1. hehe!

    Lowe seems to have mollified a certain segment of the Oilers fandome with this signing...but those in the "know" realize this is probably a terrible move. Especially in light of the fact that they refused to pay Smyth something similar only a few months prior.

    Even before Edmonton got him I was wondering who would be suckered by Souray's gawdy PP point totals. I thought it might be someone like Waddel in Atlanta, but didn't anticipate Lowe going into full on desperation "save my job with good PR signings" mode.

    What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've derived a great deal of satisfaction this offseason from the contrast between how Edmonton's offseason and our offseason have gone...

    I'll be sad to be moving away from my friends the Edmonton fans :)

    ReplyDelete